Doug Barr aka: ‘Simple Man’ and now ‘Rubicon Ronin’
Contact me at: TheOtherRubicon@charter.net
A little background…
I bought my first wheeler in 1985, after more than a year in the Polygoats four wheel drive club at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, without a vehicle. It was a 1947 CJ-2A. The club never saw it but I was now officially a wheeler.
Lake Tahoe has been a family destination, summer and winter, all my life. The family has had a cabin in North Tahoe since 1965, 200 miles from what was then my home and just 16 miles from the Tahoe end of the Rubicon Trail.
In 1996, I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sparks, Nevada to take a job with the Sparks Fire Department; now I’m just an hour from the cabin and the world famous Rubicon Trail.
Over the years, I have owned and wheeled a number of vehicles. Some have come and gone but some are still around. My current daily driver is a 2012 Chevy Colorado with the Z-71 package. Here’s the list and I still have those with an asterisk.
- 1947 CJ-2A*
- 1952 Willys PU
- 1983 CJ-5
- 1998 XJ
- 1986 Suzuki 230 Quadsport
- 1988 Wrangler
- 1984 CJ-7*
- 2002 Polaris X Edge 700*
- 2003 Chevy Tahoe
- 1985 CJ-7*
- 2002 Chevy S-10 w/ Z-R2 package
- 2012 Chevy Colorado w/ Z-71 package*
- 2009 Kawasaki KLX250s*
Clubs I’ve been involved with over the years:
- Lake Tahoe Hi-Los: Past President & VP 2004 – present
- Tahoe Donner Four Wheelers 2015 – present
- North Tahoe Trail Dusters: Past President & current VP 2000 – present
- Hills Angels, Reno 2008 – present
- Tahoe Sierra Snowmobile Club 2011 – 2015
- Comstock Wheelers, Reno 1996 – 1999
- Poly Goats, Cal Poly, SLO 1984 – 1987
- CA Off Road Vehicle Association (CORVA)
- Field Representative: 2016 – present
- Just added as the local OHV representative for the Lake Tahoe area, specifically the West Shore and greater Rubicon Trail area
- Rubicon Trail Foundation
- Rubicon Trail Foundation: Director 2004 – 2011
- Rubicon Trail Foundation: Vice President 2008 – 2010
- Friends of the Rubicon
- FOTR: Liaison with Tahoe National Forest 2001 – September 2014
- FOTR: Liaison with Placer County 2001 – 2012
- FOTR: Placer side Representative 2001 – 2010
- FOTR: Medical Team Leader – For the very first project
- Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC) – Life member
- California Four Wheel Drive Association (C4WDA, Cal4)
- California Off-Road Vehicle Association (CORVA) – Life member
- Nevada Four Wheel Drive Association (N4WDA) – Life member
- International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA)
- Tahoe Area Mountain Bike Association (TAMBA)
- American Motorcycle Association (AMA) 1998 – present
My CJ-2A when it was running, crossing a creek on the way to Pine Needle Flat off Highway 4.
My CJ-5 making my way down the Big Sluice of the Rubicon. I think this was my first time all the way through.
My XJ parked overlooking Owens Valley on a trip to Saline Valley.
The 2002 Chevy S-10 w/ ZR-2 package
My current rig at Observation.
The latest project, 1985 CJ-7, dead stock, for now. Chevy S-10 ZR-2 and CJ-7 in background.
The current daily driver. A Chevy Colorado w/ Z-71 package and 2.5″ lift on the Rubicon at Miller Lake.