Vehicle / Equipment
Here are the requirements for participants in any Cal4 run. These are the absolute basics. The more difficult the trail, the more spare parts you should carry. The more remote the trail, the more provisions you should carry. Never wheel alone.
Certain events require additional equipment or have special restrictions. Be sure to check prior to attending the event.
- Roll bar or factory installed hard top.
- Emergency brake, parking brake, line-lock or other redundant braking system.
- Tow strap or rope (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight).
- First aid kit.
- Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tools to change tire.
- Spare tire within 3 inches diameter of other tires, or, for tires 37″ or larger, run-flats or tools to repair/reinflate tire.
- Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored.
- Seat belts for all vehicle occupants.
- Antennas must be rigid or restrained in a manner to prevent injuries.
- Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e. tow hooks, receiver, etc. Tow balls are not permitted.
- Battery hold downs (no bungie cords).
So, I figured I should start compiling a list of thing one should bring with them while out and about away from the local autoparts store and hardware store.
For the most part this is overkill but it’s better than needing it and not having it!
Please feel free to email me and make suggestions.
A list of lists:
Tire on rim, inflated
Spark plug wires
Radiator hoses (upper & lower)
U-bolts w/ nuts and washers
Leaf spring shackle
Tie rod ends (left & right)
Battery/winch electrical cable
Front brake line
Colby Valve Stem
Drive shaft U-bolts or ‘clips’ w/ nuts and washers
Fuel pump, electric
Misc. repair parts
Misc. nuts & bolts
Aluminum flake radiator repair
Brake line plug/crimp (run on three of four)
Fuel filter (basic set-ups)
Specialty tools for YOUR rig
Extensive set of basic hand tools
Jack – bottle or Hi-Lift
Ratcheting tie down strap
Big block of wood
A means of re-inflating a tire
Within the group
Tire plug kit
Radiator (aluminum) welder
Heavy duty boots
Food & water (another list)
Medicines (another list)
2nd set of clothes