The little things go wrong

While trying to keep my social distance, a group of wheelers went out yesterday. There were eight rigs, 12 people, beautiful day, tough trail. We understand this was a social event but we were keeping our distance and for the most part, those sharing a rig were living together as well.

I’ll tell the full story when I get pictures back from my friends. It was a tough trail. I actually broke and axle but drove out!

At the end of the day, when I went to air up at the end of the day, I couldn’t unscrew the cap on my valve stem. Actually, the whole valve stem was spinning in the steel rim.

I had just put on a fancy set of machined aluminum caps with the rubber liner so they wouldn’t rust to the valve stem. I did it right.

Well, this trail was so tough that the wheels were along the rocks all morning. At one point, I must have pinched the valve stem cap between a rock and the wheel and crushed the aluminum cap, just a little.

I had to use two pairs of pliers to unscrew the cap. One to hold the valve stem and one to unscrew the cap.

So, no more metal valve stem caps, I’m going back to plastic.

.

Rubicon Ronin



Leave a Reply